How to buy something with Take it away
Find a local or online shop
Take it away is available through over 130 music instrument shops in England and Northern Ireland. Use our search tool to find the most suitable one.
Choose your instrument
Our network of shops have knowledgeable staff who will help you find the perfect instrument, equipment and tech to suit your needs.
Complete the application form
If applying in-store, take proof of ID (passport or drivers license) and let staff know that you would like to pay using Take it away. This involves a credit check being carried out on you; you will need a deposit (minimum 10%). Alternatively, if you are applying online, you should see the option to select Take it away when checking out.
If your application has been approved and you’ve paid your deposit, there’s only one more thing to do – Take your instrument away and get playing!
What can I buy?
Our retailers can offer our interest-free loans for musical instruments, equipment, software and tuition. They can offer these in-store and online.
We don’t set limits on the instruments we fund. Instruments can be new or reconditioned. Indeed, in both England and Northern Ireland, we encourage musical passions of every complexion, from bass guitars to xylophones.
As a passion for music-making can develop at any time of life, we have interest-free loans to support musicians of every age in England and Northern Ireland – with subsidised options tailored to children and young adults in England.
All applicants must:
- Be over 18 years old
- Be a permanent UK resident
- Have a regular income that exceeds £5,000 per year
- Hold a bank or building society account capable of handling direct debit payments
Loans are subject to status. Terms and conditions apply.
How much can I borrow?
In England, you can get a Take it away interest free loan of between £100 and £5,000.
The core scheme, which all our shops in England offer, is available to UK residents, who have a regular income that exceeds £5,000 per year.
In England, if the cost of the instrument/s you want to buy exceed the £5,000 loan limit, you can use Take it away as a part-payment towards the instrument/s. You would then need to pay the remaining balance by an alternative method. It is not possible to split the cost of an instrument/s over more than one loan application.
In Northern Ireland, you can get a Take it away interest free loan of up to £2,000. The scheme is open to all, regardless of age, as long as you are a resident of Northern Ireland.
Some participating stores also offer interest free credit up to the value of £25,000 to eligible customers over the age of 18. Speak to your local shop for further details
- Take it away is operated by Creative United, a not-for-profit Community Interest Company.
- Creative United is an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation
- Creative United provides a range of financial products and services designed to enable the growth and development of the UK’s cultural and creative industries.
- Our mission is to build a sustainable and resilient creative economy, making the arts accessible for all.
- The communities that we serve include creative businesses (including individual artists and creative practitioners), charitable and social enterprises, and other organisations operating within the wider arts and creative industries.
Stay in touch
For general news and updates about Take it away, please sign up to our mailing list.