Photo by Manuel Nägeli
Each month we will be featuring a different region, with the aim of bringing these services into contact with each other.
For March 2019, Take it away are featuring activities and shops in the South East.
Music shops who offer Take it away
These music shops in the South East all offer Take it away interest-free loans in their stores. Some of them feature in this month’s retailer tips, which are all about music shops who make the most of the space they have to offer additional services such as tuition, events and rehearsal space.
- Ackerman Music – Brighton, Hove, Chichester
- Aylesbury Music – Aylesbury
- Becketts Music – Southampton
- Brighton Piano Warehouse – Brighton
- Carousel Music – Haywards Heath
- Chamberlain Music – Haslemere, Surrey
- Countrywide Pianos – High Wycombe
- Dawsons Music – Reading
- Hayes Music – Southampton, Romsey
Heritage Music & Caswell Strings – Banbury
- Hickies – Reading
- Hobgoblin Music – Brighton, Canterbury, Southampton
- Hollywood Music – Milton Keynes
- Piano Warehouse – Surbiton
- Right Track Music Shop – Ashford, Kent
- Shergold Music – Cobham
- Sussex Pianos – Hellingly, East Sussex
- Sutton Music Centre – Sutton, Surrey
- The Guitar Store – Southampton
- The Piano Gallery – Faringdon, Oxfordshire
South East Music Hubs
Music Hubs are a Government-led initiative, previously referred to as schools or music services. They are partnerships between state schools, companies, charities and practitioners. Hubs receive funding from the Department of Education via Arts Council England. It is the responsibility of every Hub to distribute funding amongst organisations to ensure that these targets are met:
- Ensure that every child aged 5 to 18 has the opportunity to learn a musical instrument (other than voice) through whole-class ensemble teaching programs or weekly tuition on the same instrument
- Ensure that clear progression routes are available and affordable to all young people
- Develop a singing strategy to ensure that every pupil sings regularly, and that choirs and other vocal ensembles are available in the area
Below you’ll find a list of the music hubs in the South East. Each hub provides different services and receives different levels of funding, dependent on needs and services. For example, some services provide one to one tuition, some offer classroom sessions or some offer Orchestra or performance opportunities.